Start To Finish: PAINT JOB QUESTIONS: PLEASE READ!
Okay, so I been looking at a lot of builds lately and realize, most need paint/primer to match! I got to thinking and have some questions/info I would like so hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction! :D Please be as detailed as you can, I appreciate it! :)
- What tools/items do you need to complete a paint job from scratch. Please post everything as if you had to start from the beginning. This would be for a car with minor dents/dings and not a perfect canvas.
- When purchasing tools/paints/etc what do you look for?
- What prep steps do you follow? If starting with bare metal, and if starting with a decent paint job to begin with (scuff/shoot?)
- What steps do you follow from beginning to end, and what do you have to watch?
- If there is a cracked fiberglass/plastic on the car… How do you repair it?
- How do you fix/repair a rusty section (say above rear wheels? w/ and without replacement items?
- What are the most common mistakes people make/ shortcuts they take?
- Info and advice on Kandy/pearls/ 2 tone paint jobs/ airbrushing work/ pin striping/ and etc?
- How do you get designs the same on both sides?
- Any advice you can offer from beginning this process, to the end step of detailing? What steps are there in between?
- Do you guys have any more links/videos/book recommendations to learn to do this your self, and it actually look decent, not like a rattle can job (yes, I have seen decent rattle can jobs though!) I would love to learn to do a lot of different stuff!
Thanks for all the input! i hope others will find this thread informative as well! :)
Other Info I want to learn more DIY on: Welding Basics, window tint, Stereo, Fiberglass work, basic upholstery,stereo install,door panel building, auto detailing,pin striping,Paintless dent repair, Body mods (shaving/lowering kits/ basic bag installs/powder coat/etc)